***Out of an abundance of caution and based on the New York State directive to perform summer school activities virtually, we are sad to announce that the 2020 HAP program at Fordham Prep has been canceled. All those who submitted an application should check your email for a more detailed announcement.***
We hope you have a very safe and enjoyable summer.
Read more about the HAP Advantage in The Journal News.
Mr. Bradley Serton '95
Director of Admissions
Director of the Higher Achievement Program (HAP)
HAP Contact Information
Important Dates - 2020 HAP Program
January, 17, 2020 - *Application Opens*
Monday, April 20 - *Application Closes* (DEADLINE EXTENDED)
June 29 - First day of HAP
July 3 - HAP not in session
July 29 - Last day of HAP
2020 HAP Tuition Rates
$500 - Income $54,999 and lower
$750 - Income $55,000 to $109,999
$1,525 - Income $110,000 and higher
HAP School Day
8:30 am - 2:30 pm
Every morning, students take three courses designed to improve their performance on the TACHS (Test for Admission to Catholic High Schools): Critical Thinking Through Reading, Math, and Writing.
Critical Thinking Through Reading
- Foundations in reading comprehension and study skills
- Work prepares boys for the rigors of high school level work and questions encountered on the TACHS exam
- Activities include group discussions, vocabulary review, independent reading, and critical analysis of texts
- Students must complete a final project
- Reviews topics covered in most 7th grade courses and explores topics covered in 8th grade as well as a few in 9th grade
- Goal is to prepare students for 8th grade math and math problems include on standardized admissions exams
- Topics include; solving algebraic equations, working with inequalities, graphing, simple geometry, and the techniques of solving word problems
- Focuses on the key elements of quality writing
- Tasks are worked in both individually and collaboratively
- Coaching includes writing purpose and audience, use of effective vocabulary, sentence structure and sentence variety
- Activities will focus on short stories, personal narratives, poetry, biological writing, and descriptive, persuasive, and informational paragraphs
Each afternoon our HAP groups participate in a series of sports and games including
Track and Field
HAP also provides access to a series of unique activities designed to enrich our participants both inside and outside of a classroom setting. In past years, our special activities have included
Studio Art Workshops
Intro to Classical Mythology
Science Exploration & Enrichment
Speech & Debate
The balance of academics in the morning and the choice of sports, activities and other enrichments in the afternoon is conducive to an educational environment that strives to foster the Jesuit ideal of cura personalis (care for the individual).
Fordham Prep strives to produce “men for others” and service is a required of all Fordham Prep students. HAP participants are also asked to spend some time during the program in the service of others.
In 2019 HAP participants raised over $8,000 for The Blythdale School, New York State’s only school district specifically for students recovering from illness. These funds were used to produce over 300 backpacks of supplies for Blythdale students as well as a cash donation.