Higher Achievement Program (HAP)
The Higher Achievement Program (HAP) was founded in 1964 at St. Peter's Prep in Jersey City, New Jersey. In the years since, HAP has been offered by a number of Jesuit high schools throughout the northeast United States. This unique five-week program for boys entering eighth-grade combines academics, athletics and creative enrichment activities that prepare participants for 8th grade, the high school application process, and beyond.
**HAP SUMMER 2021 - The 2021 HAP program is limited to 180 spaces due to safety precautions related to the COVID-19 pandemic. You must both submit your online application AND your HAP School Evaluation Form in order to be considered. We will grant acceptance on a first-come first-served basis along with an interest in learning and being part of a community as described on the student's School Evaluation Form. Once we have reached capacity, we will open a waiting list.**
**Applications for the 2021 HAP program are now closed. If you are interested in being put on a wait list, please contact us beginning Tuesday, May 4.**
To apply to the 2021 HAP program, please fill out our ONLINE APPLICATION and submit our SCHOOL EVALUATION FORM. The School Evaluation Form need not be printed out. It and can be filled out via PDF and emailed to us at HAP@fordhamprep.org.
Read more about the HAP Advantage in The Journal News.
Every morning, students take three courses designed to improve their academic performance on the TACHS (Test for Admission to Catholic High Schools): Critical Thinking Through Reading, Math, and Writing.
Critical Thinking Through Reading
- Foundations in reading comprehension and study skills
- Work prepares boys for the rigors of high school level work and questions encountered on the TACHS exam
- Activities include group discussions, vocabulary review, independent reading, and critical analysis of texts
- Students must complete a final project
- Reviews topics covered in most 7th grade courses and explores topics covered in 8th grade as well as a few in 9th grade
- Goal is to prepare students for 8th grade math and math problems include on standardized admissions exams
- Topics include; solving algebraic equations, working with inequalities, graphing, simple geometry, and the techniques of solving word problems
- Focuses on the key elements of quality writing
- Tasks are worked in both individually and collaboratively
- Coaching includes writing purpose and audience, use of effective vocabulary, sentence structure and sentence variety
- Activities will focus on short stories, personal narratives, poetry, biological writing, and descriptive, persuasive, and informational paragraphs
Each afternoon our HAP groups participate in a series of sports and games including
Track and Field
HAP also provides access to a series of unique activities designed to enrich our participants both inside and outside of a classroom setting. In past years, our special activities have included
Studio Art Workshops
Intro to Classical Mythology
Science Exploration & Enrichment
Speech & Debate
The balance of academics in the morning and the choice of sports, activities and other enrichments in the afternoon is conducive to an educational environment that strives to foster the Jesuit ideal of cura personalis (care for the individual).
Fordham Prep strives to produce “men for others” and service is a required of all Fordham Prep students. HAP participants are also asked to spend some time during the program in the service of others.
In 2019 HAP participants raised over $8,000 for The Blythdale School, New York State’s only school district specifically for students recovering from illness. These funds were used to produce over 300 backpacks of supplies for Blythdale students as well as a cash donation.
Mr. Bradley Serton '95
Director of Admissions
Director of the Higher Achievement Program (HAP)
HAP Contact Information
Important Dates - 2021 HAP Program
February 3, 2021 - *Application Opens*
March 19, 2021 - *Application Closes*
May 1, 2021 - Registration & Tuition Due (accepted participants only)
June 1, 2021 - Health Forms Due (accepted participants only)
June 28, 2021 - HAP Begins
July 5, 2021 - HAP HOLIDAY
July 28, 2021 - HAP Ends
2021 HAP Tuition Rates
Income up to $54,999 - $500
Income $55,000 to $99,999 - $800
Income $100,000 and over - $1,525
HAP School Day
8:30 am - 2:30 pm