Fees for Spring 2013 Season
The fee for the Spring 2012 season is $120. Please print out the fee submission form and send into Dr. Gelpi in the FP Religion Dept, or give to Coach Joe Costelloe by MARCH 1ST. Rugby fees cover fields, referees, insurance, transporation and other fees associated with the season.
To sign up, please fill out:
Rugby Sign up Form
Fee Submission Form
FP Emergency Card (please pick up at Nurse Donoghue’s office)
All can be dropped off with Dr. Gelpi in the Religion Dept.
Jesuit Cup Tournament - Washington DC, April 12-14, 2013
All JV and Varsity players are invited to travel to Washington, DC to represent Fordham Prep Rugby in the Jesuit Cup Tournament. The teams will play two games on Saturday, and on Sunday if they advance in the tournament. The fee to participate in the tournament is $140. Please email Linda Costelloe to reserve your spot, print out the fee submission sheet and send your check into Dr. Gelpi in the Religion Dept, or give these to Coach Joe Costelloe by MARCH 29TH. Fee includes 2 nights hotel stay (4 players per room / coaches will assign rooms), breakfast on Saturday & Sunday, BBQ dinner on Sat evening, lunch on the road Sunday, tournament fees and a Greyhound bus to transport 50 players. Although we may have more than 50 players attend, we are confident that we can get all players to and from DC with the parents traveling down.
Players and coaches will be staying at the Westin Hotel, 400 Courthouse Square, Alexandria, VA. Parents and families are invited to book at the same hotel. Call 1-888-625-5144 to book your room.
Please note that the team is still actively soliciting donations to help ensure a future for Fordham Prep Rugby. Donations can be made online or sent to: Linda Costelloe, 329 Putnam Avenue, Port Chester NY 10573. Questions? Contact Linda Costelloe.
Rugby Informational Meeting
A meeting was held in the Commons on November 28th for players and parents. Below is the information that was covered
- FP Rugby Coaching & Support Staff
- Neil McMillan, Head Coach
- Assistant Coaches:
- Joe Costelloe, FP Parent
- Shane McDermott
- Al McFarland
- Villi Vakasisikakala, FP Parent
- Jerry Wolf, FP Parent
- FP Faculty Liaison
- Team Manager
- Christopher Denner, Varsity
- We’re looking for a JV Team Manager
- Someone who would like to be involved with the program, but doesn’t want to play.
- FP Rugby Coordinator
- Linda Costelloe, FP Parent
- History of FP Rugby
- There was a team back in the 1980’s which was disbanded
- After many years with no rugby at the Prep, a group of boys led by Anthony and Allen Bronzo, persuaded Fr. Boller to allow a team to start up again.
- First season went well, but the team’s success erupted in its second season.
- Fifth place in New York State
- First place finishes in both Varsity & JV Divisions of the Jersey Cup
- Third place finishes for both Varsity & JV in the Jesuit Cup
- No rugby experience is needed, but your commitment is required
- Practices will be 3 afternoons per week (days and times TBD)
- Mandatory gym sessions in the pre-season (times TBD)
- Games are generally one afternoon a week and weekends.
- If you are in a winter sport, preseason participation is only allowed with your current coach’s permission.
- Your inability to participate in pre-season training will NOT be held against you if you are in a winter sport
- ImPACT and Random Drug Testing
- Fordham Prep requires ImPACT (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) -- baseline test for all in case a concussion is suspected during any activity.
- If a concussion is suffered, a player is not allowed to return to their sport unless testing shows that they reach or surpass the baseline level.
- The Prep also conducts random drug testing of athletes
- All illegal substances are prohibited.
- Game schedule, pre-season gym sessions, and practice schedule for the season will be out as soon as it’s been set.
- Game season will run early March through the end of May.
- Jesuit Cup in Washington DC is scheduled for April 12-14.
- FP Website
- www.fordhamrugby.com links to our page here on the FP website
- Season Fees & Clothing
- Fee for the season is $120
- This covers fields, refs, transportation, post-match food, and jerseys (which are worn for games and remain with the team)
- Fee to participate at the Jesuit Cup $140 (details are below)
- Mandatory Clothing (varies)
- All players must have white games shorts ($30), maroon game shorts ($30), a reversible pinnie ($20) and FP Rugby socks ($10/pr)
- Any items from previous season are acceptable
- Any items you need can be purchased using the Fee Submission Form. Please fill out and give to Dr. Gelpi in the Religion Dept.
- Optional Clothing
- Many items bearing the FP Rugby logo are available for purchase. Please see the Fee Submission Form for a list.
- Please print form and send send with payment to Dr. Gelpi in the Religion Dept.
- There is a limited amount of clothing left over from previous seasons available at reduced prices. Please contact Linda Costelloe with inquiries. These items will be sold at home games when possible.
- Rugby Gear
- No one will be allowed on the field without a mouth guard!!
- Boys will need cleats. Rugby or soccer cleats will suffice
- No cleats with the “toe cleat” are permitted
- Boys should have proper rugby shorts for practice. Can be purchased at any rugby store (e.g. Int’l Soccer & Rugby, 42 W. Putnam Ave, Greenwich CT- www.soccerandrugby.com ) or from an online rugby supplier (ie. World Rugby Shop - www.worldrugbyshop.com ). Any color is fine for practice
- Games are played on both grass and turf fields.
- Fordham’s Murphy Field is our home field.
- Booster Club
- New this year, we are looking to form a Booster Club to support the FP Rugby Program. We’re looking to fill the following roles:
- Alumni Dinner Committee
- Dinner to be held on Friday, February 1st @ Rory Dolan’s in Yonkers. More info below.
- Jennifer & Dennis Hanrahan will assist. Need a few more
- Var & JV Uniforms
- Collect jerseys after games, wash and transport to next game.
- Mereani Vakasisikakala will help.....need a few more
- Help with ordering, tracking and distribution.
- Var & JV Photography
- Take team, game and event photos and post for all to share.
- Marissa Granelli will assist with Varsity when she can. Need JV and another Varsity.
- JV & Varsity Food
- Coordinate food for home games.
- Laura Hogan will lead.
- Breezy Point
- When FP Rugby was trying to launch, Xavier Rugby was incredibly generous to us. Over 100 Xavier families lost their homes in Hurricane Sandy, many in Breezy Point, so FP Rugby mobilized to help Xavier with the clean up.
- A huge thank you to the players, families and friends who came out on Sunday, November 18th and Friday, November 23rd to clean up, transport debris and gut the affected homes.
- A huge thank you to those that made donations toward our efforts in Breezy as well. Over $500 was collected, which allowed us to purchase all the necessary clean-up supplies and equipment, and the leftover money will go to those Xavier families as a donation. All the FP Rugby efforts were so greatly appreciated.
- Father Boller
- FP Rugby is in existence today because of Father Boller. Despite internal resistance to the sport’s startup, Father Boller saw the benefit of allowing the team a chance.
- Father Boller is retiring at the end of this school year. The Mothers’ Club is honoring him at their Fashion Show in March.
- Please consider placing an ad in the Fashion Show Journal thanking Father Boller for his suport. We wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for him!!
- FP Rugby Alumni Dinner - Friday, February 1, 2013 @ Roray Dolan’s
- The Rugby Alumni from back in the 70’ and 80’s have been incredibly supportive and generous as the current team started up. We celebrate the relationships that we’ve formed with these alumni, and those players and families that have graduated out of the program with a dinner.
- Jennifer and Dennis Hanrahan are willing to help out with the organizing, plus a few others were contemplating it. Please feel free to jump in and help with the details......many hands make light work!!
- We’ll be looking for raffle prizes to be donated as we get closer to the date. Please let us know if you have anything you can donate or are willing to solicit a prize or two on the team’s behalf.
- College Rugby
- For our seniors and juniors who are hoping to play rugby in college, we’ve tried to give you a little help
- Click here to see our College Rugby page, which lists programs where our FP Rugby players have landed.
- Coach names and contact info
- FP Rugby Alums in that program
- We’re continually adding to this page, so please send us any info that you don’t see listed.