Sign Ups for Spring 2014 Season have closed!
For additional clothing orders, please use the:
Paperwork can be dropped off with Dr. Gelpi in the Religion Department or handed to Coach Joe Costelloe prior to practice.
Jesuit Cup Tournament - Washington DC, April 11-13, 2014
All JV and Varsity players are invited to travel to Washington, DC to represent Fordham Prep Rugby in the Jesuit Cup Tournament. The teams will play two games on Saturday, and on Sunday if they advance in the tournament. The fee to participate in the tournament is $150. Please email Linda Costelloe to reserve your spot, print out the Fee Submission Form and send your check into Dr. Gelpi in the Religion Dept, or give these to Coach Joe Costelloe by MARCH 28TH. Fee includes 2 nights hotel stay (4 players per room / coaches will assign rooms), breakfast on Saturday & Sunday, BBQ dinner on Sat evening, tournament fees and a Greyhound bus to transport both teams.
Players and coaches will be staying at the Westin Hotel, 400 Courthouse Square, Alexandria, VA. Parents and families are invited to book at the same hotel. Call 1-888-625-5144 to book your room.
Please note that the team is still actively soliciting donations to help ensure a future for Fordham Prep Rugby. Donations can be made online (click here) or send to: Linda Costelloe, 329 Putnam Avenue, Port Chester NY 10573. Questions? Contact Linda Costelloe.
Rugby Informational Meeting
A meeting was held in the Commons on November 25th for players and parents. Below is the information that was covered
- FP Rugby Coaching & Support Staff
- Neil McMillan, Head Coach
- Assistant Coaches:
- Paul Burke
- Joe Costelloe, FP Parent
- Shane McDermott
- Toby L'Estrange
- Al McFarland
- Villi Vakasisikakala, FP Parent
- Jerry Wolf, FP Parent
- FP Faculty Liaison
- Team Manager
- Christopher Denner, Varsity
- We’re looking for a JV Team Manager
- Someone who would like to be involved with the program, but doesn’t want to play.
- FP Rugby Coordinator
- Linda Costelloe, FP Parent
- History of FP Rugby
- There was a team back in the 1980’s which was disbanded
- After many years with no rugby at the Prep, a group of boys led by Anthony and Allen Bronzo and Mike Mahon, persuaded Fr. Boller to allow a team to start up again.
- First season went well, but the team’s success erupted in its second season.
- Fifth place in New York State
- First place finishes in both Varsity & JV Divisions of the Jersey Cup
- Third place finishes for both Varsity & JV in the Jesuit Cup
- Third Season successes include:
- Jersey Cup: First place finish in Varsity Division, Second Place finish in JV, Third Place finish in the Freshman Division.
- No rugby experience is needed, but your commitment is required
- Practices will be 3 afternoons per week (days and times TBD)
- Mandatory gym sessions in the pre-season (times TBD)
- Games are generally one afternoon a week and weekends.
- If you are in a winter sport, preseason participation is only allowed with your current coach’s permission.
- Your inability to participate in pre-season training will NOT be held against you if you are in a winter sport
- ImPACT and Random Drug Testing
- Fordham Prep requires ImPACT (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) -- baseline test for all in case a concussion is suspected during any activity.
- If a concussion is suffered, a player is not allowed to return to their sport unless testing shows that they reach or surpass the baseline level.
- The Prep also conducts random drug testing of athletes
- All illegal substances are prohibited.
- Game schedule, pre-season gym sessions, and practice schedule for the season will be out as soon as it’s been set.
- Game season will run early March through the end of May.
- Jesuit Cup in Washington DC is scheduled for April 11-13.
- FP Website
- www.fordhamrugby.com links to our page here on the FP website
- Season Fees & Clothing
- Fee for the season is $120
- This covers fields, refs, transportation, post-match food, and jerseys (which are worn for games and remain with the team)
- Fee to participate at the Jesuit Cup $150 (details are below)
- Mandatory Clothing (varies)
- All players must have white games shorts ($30), a reversible pinnie ($20) and FP Rugby socks ($10/pr)
- Any items from previous season are acceptable
- Any items you need can be purchased using the Fee Submission Form. Please fill out and give to Dr. Gelpi in the Religion Dept.
- Optional Clothing
- Many items bearing the FP Rugby logo are available for purchase. Please see the Fee Submission Form for a list.
- Please print form and send send with payment to Dr. Gelpi in the Religion Dept.
- There is a limited amount of clothing left over from previous seasons available at reduced prices. Please contact Linda Costelloe with inquiries. These items will be sold at home games when possible.
- Rugby Gear
- No one will be allowed on the field without a mouth guard!!
- Boys will need cleats. Rugby or soccer cleats will suffice
- No cleats with the “toe cleat” are permitted
- Boys should have proper rugby shorts for practice. Can be purchased at any rugby store (e.g. Int’l Soccer & Rugby, 42 W. Putnam Ave, Greenwich CT- www.soccerandrugby.com ) or from an online rugby supplier (ie. World Rugby Shop - www.worldrugbyshop.com ). Any color is fine for practice
- Games are played on both grass and turf fields.
- Fordham’s Murphy Field is our home field.
- Booster Club
- New this year, we are looking to form a Booster Club to support the FP Rugby Program. We’re looking to fill the following roles:
- Alumni Dinner Committee
- Dinner to be held on Friday, January 31st @ Fogarty's in Bronxville. More info below.
- Var & JV Uniforms
- Collect jerseys after games, wash and transport to next game.
- Help with ordering, tracking and distribution.
- Var & JV Photography
- Take team, game and event photos and post for all to share.
- JV & Varsity Food
- Coordinate food for home games.
- FP Rugby Alumni Dinner - Friday, January 31, 2014 @ Fogarty’s in Bronxville
- The Rugby Alumni from back in the 70’ and 80’s have been incredibly supportive and generous as the current team started up. We celebrate the relationships that we’ve formed with these alumni, and those players and families that have graduated out of the program with a dinner.
- We hope that you will consider:
- College Rugby
- For our seniors and juniors who are hoping to play rugby in college, we’ve tried to give you a little help
- Click here to see our College Rugby page, which lists programs where our FP Rugby players have landed, coach names and contact info, and alums in that program.
- We’re continually adding to this page, so please send us any info that you don’t see listed.